1. I seem to be meeting more and more people who love hummus but have never made it and are astonished when I explain how easy it is. This is for you!
2. It tastes SO much better than shop bought so everyone should really give it a go.
3. I have been taking a step back to basics as I realised I don’t share enough of the little things that get me through each day. Hummus is becoming a weekly thing that keeps me going when I hit that 3pm slump.
The great thing about hummus is the different ways you can use it and the different varieties you can try. Hummus is great in sandwiches, burgers, salads or on top of rice cakes/ crispbreads or served with crudites, you could even use it as a base for pizzas, kebabs, wraps or to top of your veggie bowl.
Jazz it up by adding herbs, spices, spinach, roasted peppers, beetroot or sun-dried tomatoes to the blender for a different version. Or try using something other than chickpeas such as the edamame and wasabi hummus I made when making sushi wraps.
Everyone who does make hummus at home has their own quantities or version they use as their default recipe. The thing with hummus is it is definitely a trial and error recipe, blend up your ingredients then it is REALLY important to taste it, then decide if you want to add more garlic/ lemon etc.
That’s the beauty of making things yourself, you can make it exactly how you like it and you know everything that has gone in it!
“But I don’t have time to make things from scratch” I hear you cry😛 Well my lovely friends, this takes 5 minutes to make!! (plus 5 minutes to wash up). I may be a bit of a cooking fanatic but here is an example. The other day I was driving home from a work night out, around 9.30pm and I suddenly remembered I forgot to buy a lemon for my hummus that week. So I stopped at a service station, picked one up, got home, made hummus and still managed to get a good night sleep🙂
Makes 1 large tub (lasts me 4 days)
1 Can Chickpeas
2 Garlic Cloves
1.5 Tblspns Tahini (sesame seed paste)
Juice of 1 Lemon
3-4 tblspns Extra Virgin Olive Oil
optional sprinkling of paprika to finish
1. Put everything in a blender
2. Blend until a smooth paste
3. Taste and adjust to liking.